Recipe by Marcus Leach
Photography by Sander Jurkiewicz
Adding buffalo worms to your egg fried rice is a fantastic, not to mention very easy, way of incorporating insects into your food. What’s more they will add a great contrasting texture to this dish.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees and dry roast your buffalo worms on a baking tray for around ten minutes. Be careful not to over cook them (check them regularly), they are ready once they turn golden brown.
2. Cook your rice according to the instructions on the packet. Whilst the rice is cooking prepare the rest of the ingredients.
3. In a large frying pan cook the onion and carrot in a little olive oil for five minutes, then add in the peas, sweetcorn and garlic and cook for a further five minutes, stirring regularly.
4. Add in the rice and mix thoroughly. In a bowl beat the eggs before moving the rice to one side in the pan and add the eggs in. Allow to cook for a fifteen seconds before mixing, and again allowing to cook for fifteen seconds before mixing and folding the rice in.
5. Finally add in the buffalo worms and cook for a further two minutes before adding in the spring onion and soy sauce. Garnish with some freshly chopped coriander and serve.
6. There you have it, buffalo worm fried rice.