This tasty cricket and mushroom stroganoff dish was donated by Nadia Harun Hanley who runs a great cooking with insects website called Bug Bites
Stroganoff is originally a Russian dish using sautéed pieces of beef. From it’s origins in 19 century Russia it has become popular around the world, and now appears in many different guises. The latest… a tasty version using Grub crickets.
You will need
-1 frying pan
1. Slice the mushrooms and finely dice the onion and garlic.
2. Remove the legs from the crickets.
3. Follow the instructions on the packet of the dried mushrooms to rehydrate.
4. Sauté the diced onion in the saucepan and then put them to one side.
5. Fry the mushrooms and garlic, add the rehydrated mushrooms to the saucepan and fry.
6. Add the onion back to the saucepan.
7. Add the vegetable stock and the Vegemite (to taste) to the saucepan and allow the stock to reduce for 2-3 minutes.
8. While the stock is reducing, pan fry the crickets in a separate pan with a teaspoon of butter and the paprika for 2-3 minutes.
9. Remove the reduced stock from the heat (so the sauce doesn’t split) and add the crème fraiche and parsley.
10. Add the crickets, stir and serve with rice.
11. There you have it. Cricket and mushroom stroganoff. Enjoy!