buffalo worm macaroni cheese
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking: 20 mins
- 45g Grub buffalo worms
- 250g macaroni
- 75g peas
- 75g zero fat greek yoghurt
- 250g cheddar cheese
- 4 rashers smokey bacon
This recipe came about almost by accident. I was flicking through my Twitter feed and a food picture caught my eye. As I follow various people who fully support eating insects, I assumed the picture contained buffalo worms and thought what a great idea. It was only on closer inspection that I realised it was just normal macaroni cheese, but the idea had been sown and from it I created this dish.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees and dry roast your buffalo worms on a baking tray for around ten minutes or until they start to turn golden brown. Keep an eye on them as they can burn easily.
2. Cook your pasta in salted boiling water. Once they’re ready, drain the pasta making sure you keep at least 100ml of the cooking water in a jug.
3. While your pasta cooks, dice the bacon into small pieces and cook in a frying pan until it turns crispy. Remove from the heat and pat any excess fat off with a kitchen towel.
4. In a large pan add the greek yoghurt, cheese and cooking water, stirring over a medium heat until the cheese has all melted. Now add the pasta, along with the bacon and buffalo worms. Mix thoroughly.
5. Transfer the mixture into an oven proof dish, grate a little extra cheese on the top and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Serve with seasonal green vegetables.
7. There you have it – another way to enjoy insects!