Tomato soup topped with Smoky BBQ Crunchy Roasted Crickets
01 Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ gas mark 6. Place both types of tomatoes, the leeks, white onion, garlic and 4 teaspoons of the olive oil in a roasting tin and roast in the hot oven for 15-20 minutes until coloured.
02 Once the vegetables are starting to colour in the roasting tin, transfer them to a deep pan. Pour in the stock and cream and, using a hand held blender until smooth. Alternatively, blend in food processor.
03 Serve the soup in bowl and top with a packet of our Smoky BBQ crunchy roasted crickets and a dash of chilli oil. It looks wonderful if you set some of the roasted vine cherry tomatoes aside after roasting them and then put them on top of the soup as an extra garnish.
- 2 large plum tomatoes
- 400g/14oz vine cherry tomatoes
- 2 leeks, roughly chopped
- 1 large white onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 100ml/3½fl oz/scant ½ cup olive oil
- 6ml/1 tsp of Chilli Oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 packet/12g Smoky BBQ Crunchy Roasted Crickets
- 200ml/7fl oz/scant 1 cup double (heavy) cream
- 500ml/17fl oz/2 cups vegetable stock
Our Smoky BBQ crickets on top of this sweet, simple and smooth soup add a welcome crunch. In fact, the crickets can be used on top of a whole manner of dishes, as they’re a brilliant smoky and crispy garnish. Any tomatoes will do for the soup, but we find that a combination of plum and vine tomatoes gave an extra juicy result.