Crickets with pandanus leaf
Serves 2–3 people. Makes the perfect snack with a beer or glass of wine.
- 1 litre/1¾ pints/4 cups vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 200g/7oz crickets
- 3 pandanus leaves, chopped into big chunks
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- a pinch of white peppercorns
In Thailand this is a very common snack and one of our favourite edible cricket recipes. They are even eaten as school dinners in some areas. This is a simple, quick and easy snack if you’re in a rush. Fried crickets – Yum!
You will need
– A wok (for deep-frying)
– A slotted spoon
– Tray and kitchen roll, draining paper
- Firstly, heat the oil in a wok to 160 degrees. When hot add the crickets and pandanus to the oil for around 4-5 minutes, until the insects are crunchy.
- Remove crickets and leaves from the wok and drain excess oil by placing them on kitchen roll. Once all the excess oil has been drained, lightly coat in soy sauce and white peppercorns to serve.
If you’d like to try out this recipe you can purchase your edible crickets here.